The encumbrance certificate is a legal document that acts as evidence for the ownership of a property. It is a crucial document while buying a property. The documents are also used while one plans to avail of a home loan or loan against a property. This is because it is the encumbrance certificate that clarifies that there are no legal liabilities imposed upon the property. The EC or the encumbrance certificate is required to establish the free entitlement of the property devoid of any legal or monetary charges. The EC of a property ensures the property dealer that the land or the property is undisputed. Keeping in mind the importance of an EC, property owners can apply for one through both the offline and online process. Though the process to get and EC varies across all states, yet some general guidelines are listed below:
Follow the below-mentioned steps to apply for EC online:
- visit the official online land registration portal of your state’ and there look for the option of “Apply EC”.
- As you click on this option, a form will open. Fill all the required details in the form and after entering the details carefully, click save or update.
- After saving the details, enter the search period for which you want the Encumbrance certificate and then choose the ‘Calculate Fee’ tab.
- As you pay the asked EC fee, the browser will be redirected to the ‘Acknowledgement’ window. To print, click on ‘View Acknowledgement’.
- As you pay the fee, an inspector from the land record will verify the information filled by you in the form regarding the property.
- After the inspection is complete by the inspector, an EC will be issued that will be mentioned with all the transactions that took place in the concerned period.
- A NIL EC will be issued, in case no transaction has taken place with respect to the property.
Follow these steps mentioned below to apply for the EC offline:
- To begin with, find out the registrar office that covers your location and make a visit to the Sub-Registrar.
- At the registrar’s office, collect Form 22 and fill it with the required details.
- Choose ‘EC’ in the column of ‘requested documents’.
- Cross-check the information filled in the form and submit it.
- To submit the form, pay the fee at the designated counter.
- After submitting your application form, you will be given a reference or acknowledgement number.
- This allotted acknowledgement number can be used to track the EC status.
Though the duration for the allotment of EC varies around all states, yet in general it takes around 15-30 days to get an EC, through the offline method. The online method, on the other hand, can help you get and EC quickly within 3-4 working days. In addition to that, getting an EC also requires one to submit certain documents. These are listed as follows:
- property details.
- Registration copy of the property.
- Address proof of the EC applicant.
- Copy of property sale deed/gift deed/release deed or partition deed (if valid).
- In case any deed was executed then, the one is required to submit deed number along with the registration number inclusive of the date and book number.
Thus on a concluding note, all property owners must get their properties assigned an EC without any delay. It can be availed through any medium, whether online and offline, as per one’s convenience. Attaining an EC adds more to your legal ownership, as ownership can be proved more firmly with an EC.
An Encumbrance certificate is an important document for property owners, as it legalizes the ownership of the owners over the property. The document is required to avail of a home loan or a loan against property. In addition to that, the encumbrance certificate also acts as a clearance certificate for the property, which symbolizes the property is free from any legal or monetary charges. One can apply for an encumbrance certificate, both offline and online. For the offline process, one is required to visit the online portal of the State’s land registration authority, and theory fill in the form under the option ‘Apply EC’. The offline process, on the other hand, requires you to make a physical visit to the registrar’s office who is in charge of your location. At the office, submit ‘Form 22’ with the required details. Ensure collecting the acknowledgment number, after filling the EC application form, no matter what the mode of application is. An EC is allotted between 3-4 days if applied online, and offline application grants the EC between 15-30 days. Thus, all property owners must ensure getting an EC for their property by realizing that it is an important document.